The Blue Worm of Markshire
As some of you may have seen, Goremaw has been sitting on my desk since we moved in and I received my Bones 3 order.
I recently received another Kickstarter order that started me down my Holiday Vacation path … Stonehaven’s Giants and Stonehaven’s Adventurers. I received 11 new giants to add to the Joten horde. At the last Paint Day, I cleaned all eleven resin minis and then the following day I based them all and finished prepping them by priming them with my Armory Spray Primer. Six of them were primed black for a dark starting point and 5 were primed white.
I also wanted to work on the base for my Reaper Fire Giant Jailor from Bones 3. He was “assembled” but wouldn’t stay standing on his base very well on my desk. Keep an eye out for his WIP.
That inevitably led to Goremaw getting his base suped up and his minor gaps filled.
No, that’s not red sugar … but a red sand. I found it on a clearance rack and figured, with painting, it doesn’t matter what color it starts as. There are two grades of sand on there. The red is like sugar crystals. The darker brown around the base is actual Virginia sand from the beach near Yorktown. It filled in over the red sand and makes a more earthy surface than the “pebbles” the red sand will be.
As you can see, the cracks in the bark help create the effect of excellent shale-like rocks. The pink from the sand will come into play a bit when I incorporate the blue hue of the Timeless Desert.
Oh, right, I haven’t explained my Blue Worm of Markshire…
The Timeless Desert of Markshire
The Blue Worms are rare monsters that inhabit the Timeless Desert. A frozen wasteland that used to be a vast grassland.
Here’s a screenshot from the game area:
Intentions for Goremaw:
- Blue Hide with lighter blue, almost white Ridges. Blue similar to the Horizon in the pic above.
- The Spines on the body will be darker colored. Not sure if it will be a blue or perhaps a black like a claw.
- The mandibles will be purplish color, closer to mauve.
- The fangs will be bright white at the points and duller near the mandibles.
- The inner mouth will be more classic red coloring
- The belly will be a lighter blue tinged with a pink/purple for the softer tissue
- The sand will reflect the twilight blue of the desert pictured above, which is why the red will help bring in some depth of color.
- The stones will all be granite and similar in coloring
There you have it. The start of the Holiday Vacation Series ’17.
Oh, yeah, you may be wondering what I mean by “Holiday Vacation Series” … well, I had some days of vacation left and two large holidays. I simply don’t have the means to take the time in one large vacation. So I’ve scheduled myself to be off 4 Mondays prior to my usual Christmas week vacation between Christmas day and New Year’s day. By far the SLOWEST week of our year. So, technically, this gives me … does the math … a lot of days off. We closed for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve are also paid holidays. But, what exactly am I going to be doing with this series … nothing specific. I am just trying to keep myself motivated and you all excited for the next post.
Enjoy and Stay Tuned!